(effective as of December 6, 2012)
This policy does not cover information that we may collect about you outside of our normal consumer services. For example, it does not cover information that you voluntarily make public, such as by posting it in a publicly accessible place on the Internet.
What information do you collect about me?
The information that we collect about you generally falls into three categories:
- Information that you provide. We may collect information that you choose to provide to us or one of our agents in any form or format (including in comments or other user content that you submit to us or when you submit information to us on a postcard or pledge a donation on a paper sign-up form). This may include information such as your name, e-mail address, year of birth, gender, zip code, country, mailing address, and credit card number or other billing information. We may ask you for information when you register or subscribe, or at other times — such as when you provide content or when you make a donation to us.
- Automated information. Using technologies that are widely used on the Internet, we also may automatically collect information about your computer or mobile device and online activity when you access the Services. For example, when you visit womenintheworld.org, we may collect your IP address, as well as information about which pages you visit and the page, if any, that referred you to our site. Similarly, when you use our mobile application, we may collect information about your mobile device, such as the type of mobile device you use or your device identifier.
Location information. When you use the Services, we may collect information about your location separately from your address or other information that you provide to us explicitly. For instance, we may use the GPS feature of your mobile device or your IP address to help determine your geographic location.
If you prefer that we not know your geographic location, you may disable the function when you first use the service in which we collect information about your location (or later, if your mobile device allows you to change the settings after initial download). Disabling the geolocation function may prevent you from using certain features of our services that require location information.
We may combine the information that we collect with information that we obtain from other sources, such as our past and present affiliates, including The Newsweek/Daily Beast Company LLC and other IAC companies, our business partners and service providers, and through our donation process. For example, we may ask a service provider to supply us with demographic information or updated contact information for you.
How do you use this information?
We use the information that we collect about you for these purposes:
- for editorial purposes, such as in connection with our current events reporting
- to manage your account, perform billing and payment activities, and update you on your account status (including confirmation of donations or registrations)
- to provide you with the products and services you request
- to respond to your requests, questions, and comments
- to perform business analyses or for other purposes to improve the quality of our business, the products and services we offer, including through surveys and questionnaires
- as otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent
We also do research on our users’ demographics, interests, and behavior to help us operate the Foundation and our services, and for other business purposes. This research is based on the information you provide to us including upon registration, on donation forms, during a promotion, in surveys, and on your use of our services.
With whom do you share this information?
We may share the information that we collect about you in these ways:
- with authorized service providers that help us provide the Services or perform other business functions for us, such as sending emails, hosting web services, distributing content, or processing donations (but these service providers are not permitted to use personally identifiable information that we provide for any purpose other than to provide service to us)
- with our corporate affiliates, including the IAC family of businesses at http://www.iac.com
- in the context of contests or other promotions in which we identify an outside entity, with the identified entity
- with select third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes, although you may choose up front and at no cost that we not share personally identifiable information that we have collected about you for these purposes by emailing us at info [at] womenintheworld.org
- to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process, in response to a request for cooperation from law enforcement or another government agency, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims
- when we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, or as otherwise required by law
- in connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale
- in aggregated or other non-personally identifiable form
- as otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent
In addition, if you choose to participate in social features on the Services, such as commenting on a story or chatting with other users, any information that you submit will become public. It may become accessible through search engines or, if you sign in using credentials from a third-party social networking service, to users on that service. Unless otherwise noted, we do not limit the distribution of information that you share using these features.
We may partner with third parties that operate platforms that you can use to access our content or make donations to us.
Similarly, we may include in some of our Services features that integrate with third-party social networking services. To do this, we include in our web pages and apps (if any) code from the social networking service provider. This code may allow the service provider to collect information about your activities on the Services. If you are logged into the social networking service at the time, the service provider may also be able to identify you in connection with that information.
How do you protect the security of the information you store?
We have in place physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to protect the information we collect through the Services. However, no security system is impenetrable. We cannot guarantee the security of our database, nor can we guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us.
Do you collect information from children?
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13. If we learn that we have collected any personal information from a child under the age of 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information from our database promptly.
What are cookies and how are they used on the Services?
You may opt out of the browser cookies delivered through the Services by changing the setting on your browser. Please be aware that this will disable all cookies delivered to your browser, not just the ones that we deliver, and that you may not be able to use all of the Services if you do not allow the placement of cookies. Also, opting out of browser cookies will not disable other technologies that we may use to collect information from you.
What choices do I have regarding your use of information about me?
Email messages. If you do not wish to receive emailed promotional material from us, you can opt out via the link at the bottom of the applicable email or email us at info [at] womenintheworld.org. Please note that, even if you opt out of receiving promotional emails from us, we may still contact you to provide you with non-commercial messages, such as donation receipts or legal notices. Also, if you opt out, we may not provide to you non-promotional material, such as our emailed newsletters and other content.
Sharing of information. If you would like to opt out of our sharing of personal information that we collect about you, you can make that request by emailing us at info [at] womenintheworld.org, explaining your request, and providing your name and email address. If we receive a request from you not to share your personal information, we may cancel your registration for the Services. Please understand that it may take us a reasonable amount of time to cancel your registration after we receive your request and that your cancellation will not apply to our uses of information about you prior to our receipt of the request. If you make a cancellation request, you should not access the Services again, since we may not be able to preserve your opt-out preferences if you continue to access the Services after we cancel your registration.